Monday, June 10, 2013

What Did You Do For Fun When You Were 10?...

...and do you still do it?

I've been pondering this question for the last week or so and making a conscious effort to do those things that I remember enjoying as a child. So far for me, it's been about hunting for arrowheads, searching for four-leaf clovers, playing in the woods, cloud watching and eating cookie dough. I've been seriously considering getting a bow and arrow as I used to like to make them from forest branches with kitchen string.

One of my most precious memories as a child was making dolls from hollyhock blossoms. My mom taught me how to take a blossom and a bud and connect them with a toothpick. With these dolls in mind, I bought a small hollyhock plant at the Shelbyville Farmers' Market last summer and planted it in one of the whiskey barrels on the back porch. It grew like crazy, but never blossomed. This spring, it sprouted again and grew as fast as one of Jack's beanstalks. Last week, it began to blossom. Instead of pretty white, or pale pink blossoms, it revealed almost black ones. How cool is that?


So today, I took a minute to create a doll. Mary thought I had lost my mind, but I very much enjoyed creating this little playmate – drawing eyes and a mouth, even adding a small leaf fascinator on her head.


So, I challenge you to remember what you loved most as a child and find a way to do it again. Discover your inner child. That's what summer is all about.


No comments:

Post a Comment