Sunday, June 2, 2013

It's Been a Berry Good Week

There is no such thing as too many strawberries – especially around our house. When they are in season, we eat them daily; for breakfast, lunch and dinner. In all years past, this meant that I spent an inordinate amount of time and energy hunting down local berries – at various farmers' markets, Burger's Supermarket, Doll's Market, Huber's or Gallrein Farms in Shelbyville.

Now, I just have to walk out the door and over to my raised garden beds, lean in, and start picking (and eating).


Yesterday, I went out early and picked a quart or so to share with friends in Louisville; Mary went out later and picked almost a gallon!


In addition to eating them straight from the garden, we've been piling them over shortcakes, topping granola with them, and adding them to salads.


I figure we only have about two more weeks before we have to wait 50 more weeks for the 2014 berries. I'm loving each day. Bring on the berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment