Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Medicine Woman in Training

With all the comings and goings that Ed and I have been up to, I'm often asked about how I keep up with my gardens. Not very well is the most truthful answer. The exception is my herb garden, which we just planned and planted last spring. Other than when the bunnies make off with some newly planted herbs, it has been such a joy and surprise for me.


The garden, just off our back porch, seems to thrive on my ignoring it. Every time I come back from one of our trips, I'm amazed at how it has flourished without me. Just as we returned from Spain, my pineapple sage (Salvia elegans) exploded into show-stopping fiery-red blooms; a magnet for hummingbirds and butterflies. And the flowers really do smell like fresh pineapple.


The tiny lemongrass that I planted in the garden's far corner in the spring, has turned into an amazon of a plant. I've been plucking stems and seeping them in a simple syrup to make a light – and very refreshing – lemonade. 


I cut fresh herbs for most every meal: a shred of basil leaves for our sliced tomatoes, a stem or two of rosemary for our roasted potatoes, a sprig of mint for our iced teas, a showering of thyme leaves over sautéed zucchini, a tiny bouquet of lavender blossoms for our guest bath, a handful of sorrel for pesto, and on and on. 


This week, I've shifted into high gear to enjoy and preserve as much of the bounty as possible. I bottled up some pretty vinegars to give as holiday gifts. 


And turned some lavender and lemon balm into natural, non-toxic spray cleaners.


I've cut bundles of herbs for drying.


They are hanging in our back hallway and I can smell their essential oils every time I pass by.


I oven-dried some thyme as its stems were too short to tie into a bundle.


While most of my herbs I'm using for culinary endeavors, I am interested in branching out to uncover the medicinal uses for herbs. I want to brew up my own potions, bitters, elixirs and syrups. I want to mix up salves, tinctures, decoctions and poultices. I want to learn to use herbs for healing. I want to become an herbalist. Who knows? Maybe I'll become a modern-day medicine woman. Stay tuned...







1 comment:

  1. So amazingly beautiful!! Herbs offer so much for our lives.. great job..Wow you did fantastic and this is just the first year!!! Keep me updated

    ReplyDelete