Thursday, September 28, 2017

Reentry: Learning to live without churros, siestas, and tapas

We landed in Louisville a bit past 7:00 last night. By the time we collected our luggage, took a taxi to Maggie and Nate's house to pick up our car, and drove home, a solid darkness had settled over Farm Dover. We were home from two weeks in Andalusia and I couldn't wait to see what changes had taken place while we were away.

The Mosque–Cathedral of Córdoba

Both Ed and I were wide awake this morning at 3 a.m. By 7:00, our suitcases were unpacked, a load of laundry was started, and we had breakfasted on bowls of cream of wheat. Still it was dark.

I know it will take us a few days to get back on schedule. I'm not sure I'm ready to give up churros and chocolate in the morning, siestas in the afternoon, and tapas for dinner well past my usual bedtime. Perhaps I need to find a way to permanently incorporate as least some of these Spanish traditions into our Farm Dover life...

The best part of our trip was spending an entire week with our kids in a restored farmhouse, centrally located for a number of day trips to towns in Spain's south. I'm grateful to Maggie, Nate, Jack and Mary for making the effort to travel so far to be together.

Jack, Maggie, Mary and Nate at
The Puente Nuevo, Ronda

Of course, I have notes from our time in Madrid, Córdoba, Seville, and the towns around the farmhouse, that I want to capture and share with you. But the sun is now up and its rays are slanting through my bee garden. Something purple is blooming out there. I've got to go explore. More later. xxx





No comments:

Post a Comment