Friday, July 1, 2016

My favorite lunch

Ed had to go to town today for a meeting, so I puttered around in the garden and house. Before he left, he helped me dig up one row of garlic. It really is a two-person job. He digs, I pull.


At 1 p.m. I realized that I should figure out what we were going to eat for lunch. I found a jar of dried pasta in the pantry, put some water on to boil, and then headed out to the garden with basket in hand.

  • I dug up two carrots. 
  • Untangled two cucumbers from the climbing vine.
  • Snipped off two tiny zuchinni and four tiny patty pan squash.
  • Harvested the first of the cherry tomatoes.
  • Pried one shallot from the earth.
  • Gathered a handful of basil, dill and parsley.
Came back in and dumped the pasta into the salted boiling water. Mixed together some white wine vinegar, olive oil, a bit of honey and some salt and pepper. And then began chopping my way through my harvest. 

Ten minutes later, the pasta was al dente. I found a few crumbles of feta cheese in the fridge and added them to a bit of the pasta water to make a sauce. I divided the pasta between our two bowls. Then added the chopped vegetables and poured the vinaigrette on top. 

Voila. Lunch was ready just as Ed pulled back in the drive. 







No comments:

Post a Comment