Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Namaste

In my life before Farm Dover, I occasionally did hot yoga. You know, the kind where you and a couple of dozen other people pay an insane amount of money to sweat like crazy in a 105-degree room while bending and stretching and contorting. I was terrible at it. My body is just not put together exactly right. I could never even get my arms stretched overhead as far back as my ears. I never did a back bend, handstand, or even a very strong tree pose. But I stuck it out because in some perverse way, I did enjoy it -- and it did make my achy muscles and joints feel better.

Fast forward five years. I've not touched my toes or worked my way into a downward dog pose since we moved out here. In many ways I'm stronger than ever. I can walk for miles, haul nearly full five-gallon buckets to thirsty trees, weed-whip all afternoon. But by the end of the day, I'm stiff and sore. My balance is not good. My lower back often hurts. My joints ache at night.

But over the last couple of weeks I've rediscovered yoga. And the best part is I don't have to leave Farm Dover. I also don't have to pay for individual classes. And the teacher doesn't scold me for my poor form. Thanks to sisters Sherry and Julie, I'm on to 30 Days of Yoga with Adriene. Yep, every morning, I head upstairs to the little kids' bedroom. Turn on my ipad. And begin my 20-30 minute practice. (I actually downloaded the series so I don't need to use up my valuable and restricted internet service -- but for those of you with unlimited internet, you can just click on YouTube to follow along.)



Adriene is this young, very sweet, slightly goofy instructor. She makes yoga fun and always gives variations for different levels of ability. I look forward to it each morning and am grateful for the way it makes me feel afterwards.

A quick search reveals dozens of yoga videos on YouTube. I encourage you to check them out and find one that you like. And if you are not convinced, then read this article that covers 38 health benefits of yoga including:
  • improves your flexibility and balance
  • builds muscle strength
  • perfects your posture
  • prevents cartilage and joint breakdown
  • and makes you happier.
Let me know how that cat/cow thing works out for you and whether you agree that yoga is a great way to start your morning. Namaste.





No comments:

Post a Comment