Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Silly Old Bear

If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient.
It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.
– A. A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh (all quotes)

If you are lucky, and if you've had a rather charmed childhood, you may still have in your possession your favorite stuffed animal.

I've got Pooh, and he's got me. He came into my life at age two, sent as a present by an extravagant great uncle who lived in Manhattan and had taken to holiday shopping at FAO Schwarz for his young Louisville relations.

“I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” 


Most of Pooh's friends from the Hundred-Acre Woods found their way under our Christmas tree in 1959: Piglet, Tigger, Kanga, Roo and Rabbit. There is a slight recollection of Eyore, but no lasting record of him, and Owl seems to never have been sent.

Wherever I went, Pooh went with me, as evidenced by his stained skin, his often re-attached button eyes and his need for an entirely new red t-shirt made by Grandmommy.

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words
but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?” 

I was fond of the other animals and played with them some, but it was Pooh that I claimed as my own, stubbornly unwilling to share with my sisters. He has followed me to every home and eventually became beloved of Maggie, Jack and Mary.

I lost track of Piglet, Tigger and the rest of the gang. That is until this past weekend when sister Kathy and husband George came to Farm Dover for a hike and an early supper. She came bearing a large box from William Sonoma, surely a coveted culinary birthday gift. Once the ribbon had been cut and the box opened, out bounced Tigger, followed by Piglet, Rabbit, and Kanga. Roo was found hiding among the tissue paper.

“Just because an animal is large, it doesn't mean he doesn't want kindness;
however big Tigger seems to be, remember that he wants as much kindness as Roo.”
 
Hello, Rabbit,' he said, 'is that you?'
'Let's pretend it isn't,' said Rabbit, 'and see what happens.” 
“Piglet noticed that even though he had a Very Small Heart,
it could hold a rather large amount of Gratitude.” 
“It is hard to be brave, when you're only a Very Small Animal.” 

They have been reunited with Pooh and are all set for continued adventures in the Forty-Acre Woods of Farm Dover.

“You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you.
You have to go to them sometimes.” 
“We'll be Friends Forever, won't we, Pooh?' asked Piglet.
Even longer,' Pooh answered.” 






No comments:

Post a Comment