Friday, October 3, 2014

My Garden is a Mess

Being gone for a month didn't help my garden, which wasn't looking all that great before we left. I need to get out there and yank up all the dried up tomato vines, faded okra plants, overgrown kale, weeds and more weeds.

In the good news column: most of my butternut squash was ready to harvest. In fact, Maggie hauled up a bucket full when she was out here checking on things and I filled up another bucket full earlier this week. A few still lie scattered among the sweet potato vines, stems still green and needing another week or two.


In honor of the harvest – and to take advantage of an overabundance of sage in my garden and the maple syrup that we brought back from Quebec – I roasted a butternut squash and topped it with a sage pesto. My version was loosely based on this one from Food52. (I used almonds instead of hazelnuts, and feta instead of ricotta salata.) It's a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment