Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Kentucky Oaks

The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn.
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/r/ralphwaldo151956.html#HiklwiVeLjTg1V8m.9
The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

The 140th running of the Kentucky Oaks happens this week at Churchill Downs, 5:45 on Friday to be exact. You may recall that we are hosting our own version of the Kentucky Oaks here at Farm Dover.

Back in February, I planted a dozen or so acorns that my friend Lynn Kunau brought me from a Garden Club of America meeting. Here's what they looked like three months ago:


And, I'm pleased to report, here is how three of the Northern Red Oaks look now:


I haven't seen any signs of growth from the other seeds that I planted. I've moved them outside and continue to water them regularly. But I must say, I'm pleased with my little oak trees that have sprouted. I've transplanted them twice already to larger and larger pots. My plan is to keep them in these pots until they go dormat in the fall and then to plant them along our drive. That way, everytime we see them, we can remember that they came from a tiny acorn and will someday be a giant oak.

No comments:

Post a Comment