Saturday, December 28, 2013

Hope for the new year

Those who know me well, know that I am slow to put up Christmas decorations and quick to take them down.  

Our little Christmas tree already has a new home in our front field, along with trees from Christmases 2011 and 2012. I just swept up the last of the fallen needles from the hardwood floor.

The nativity scene is packed away, each plaster-of-paris figurine wrapped in tissue paper and nestled into a round wooden box. The garland that snaked its way across our mantle is back in the red/green plastic container in the basement, along with our five stockings and the wooden tree that cousin Glenda gave me. Angel Gabriel has ditched his evergreen branch and taken back up his staff and snake, transforming back into St. Patrick. Only two small evergreen trees remain up on the mantle.

The house is quiet now. A pot of bean soup is bubbling away on the stove. Mary is in town with friends. Ed is napping on the couch. I'm in our office with with the stove fire going. I welcome the stillness of this time of year. It is a time to hibernate, a time to enjoy home and hearth, to rest and renew.


I find it a bit hard to believe that we are approaching the end of yet another year. We've been here at Farm Dover nearly three years. The house and land are becoming familiar, but still offer a newness, a freshness, to our lives.

I've learned so much this past year – mostly that there is still so much to learn. I'd like to think I'm a little wiser. I know I am more grateful for every day that Ed and I spend working and playing here at Farm Dover. I know that I am happiest when friends and family come out to enjoy our company, our garden, our trails, our wildlife.

I have great hopes for 2014: for a year of planning, planting, harvesting; a year of watching the kids find their way in this world and make a difference in it; a year of gathering with friends and family over simple meals; a year of making deeper connections with our neighbors; a year of travel to the other side of this world to visit Jack; a year of paying attention to our health and the health of our land; a year of enjoying quiet morning walks and night star gazings....

All these things (and more) are what I am hopeful for. What about you? What is it that you hope for in the new year? May 2014 be a good year for you, and for your beloveds.




No comments:

Post a Comment