Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Ready for the Root Cellar

Okay, I don't really have a root cellar, but I do have a basement that stays dry and cool – and that's where these already-cured sweet potatoes are headed. First I'll need to wrap them individually in a piece of newspaper and then place them in a cardboard box. I'm supposed to put an apple in the box to keep the roots from sprouting. They should last most of the winter without spoiling. We'll see.


I'll leave you with my favorite recipe for sweet potatoes. I found it in the May 2004 edition of Gourmet magazine. I fell in love with it the first time I made it. It is great with grilled pork or chicken.

___________________________

Lime Cilantro Sweet Potatoes

ingredients
2 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh lime zest
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

preparation
Put oven rack in lower third of oven and preheat oven to 425°F. Toss sweet potatoes with 2 tablespoons oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a shallow baking pan. Arrange potatoes in 1 layer and roast, stirring halfway through roasting, until tender, about 25 minutes total. 

Stir together cayenne, zest, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Whisk together lime juice and remaining tablespoon oil in a medium bowl, then add potatoes. Sprinkle with cayenne mixture and cilantro, stirring gently to combine. 


No comments:

Post a Comment