Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Substituting This for That

Dear Claire,
Thanks for sending me this link to 101 Cookbook's quinoa recipe. I know that if you like it, it must be good -- and a good way to use up my cherry tomatoes. I decided I would make it last night for dinner, especially since I've been trying to do Meatless Mondays and this looked like the perfect recipe.

I tried to follow the recipe. I really tried.  But I ended up substituting:
•  millet for the quinoa,
•  sweet onion for the shallot,
•  green beans and okra from the garden for the corn,
•  chard for the kale,
•  pine nuts for the pumpkin seeds
•  and fresh cherry tomatoes for the roasted ones.


Hmmm...looking at the original recipe, it seems that I may have strayed a bit, only the tofu and pesto remained true. But that is just how I cook. I have never been very good at following directions – not just with cooking, but with everything I do. Specifically when cooking, I read a bunch of recipes for general inspiration and then open my refrigerator or take a trip out the garden and improvise from there.

Anyway, our dinner was delicious and I thank you for getting me started with it. Hope all is well with you in Colorado.



No comments:

Post a Comment