Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Such a Daydreamer

My grade-school teachers were always noting on my report card: Debbie is such a daydreamer. As if there was something wrong with that! While daydreaming may not be the most productive way to spend my waking hours, it does help give creative definition to my hopes and wishes, especially when it comes to life on Farm Dover. Plus, it is great fun.

Take our pond for example. Those of you who have been following this blog, or who have been out to visit, know full well that our pond has had its ups and downs. We built it; we stocked it; we fixed its leaks (twice) and we waited patiently for it to fill back up (twice). With this week's rains, it finally is full again – and, I must say, it is beautiful.


Anytime I think about our lake, I shift into my daydreamer mode. In my reverie, I imagine two kayaks and a canoe tied up on the north bank. I picture schools of happy fish swimming around and willingly being caught, knowing they will be released. I picture myself standing on the dock's edge and then belly-flopping onto a float, drifting around on a summer afternoon, cloudwatching.

I envision that Ed has cut me a walking path around the entire lake and that every day for the rest of my life, I'll take it. I plan in great detail the picnics, bonfires and marshmellow roasts that we'll hold on the far bank, each guest sitting on a tree stump placed around the firepit, telling ghost stories and gazing at the night sky.

I revel in the birds that will make their homes around our lake, or just stop in for a visit or meal: herons, kingfishers, ducks, geese and maybe even a pair of snow-white swans. I picture the willow trees that we planted on the banks softly swaying and the sycamore and cypress trees growing up to the sky.

When I come back to reality, I know that this current "fix" may not hold; the lake may again drain out on the far side of the dam. In actual fact, we may be faced with trying another solution, or just reworking the whole hole into a wetland area. But for as long as it is full, I'll happily live in my daydream world of future days spent loving our lake.


No comments:

Post a Comment