Saturday, October 27, 2012

It's Apple Season and I'm Loving It

Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.
– Martin Luther

Like asparagus, strawberries or tomatoes, there is a time of year for everything and now it time to celebrate the apple. Yes, you can buy apples 12 months of the year, but it only for a few short months that you can get local ones. And, like asparagus, strawberries and tomatoes, it makes a difference.

Last week we went to the farmers' market in Baltimore and could select from a dozen different varieties; some I expected, and some I had never heard of. I wanted to try them all.


Looking at the crates full of apples reminded me of our yearly fall expeditions to Reid's Orchard in Owensboro where we would pick bags-full of Golden Delicious and McIntosh. Ed's Aunt Gladys would be the instigator of the outing and the most productive picker. She loved picking apples and would disappear high up into the trees until she was well into her 90s. We would have to beg her to come down, but she would always say: Just one more; there's a nice one up here that I can almost reach – tottering precariously on the ladder.

Aunt Gladys died the month before we moved to Farm Dover. In her memory, our closest friends gave us three apple trees for our orchard. It may be a few years before we are picking our own, but I can't wait to make Farm Dover cider, apple butter and apple sauce.

In the meantime, I'm making three recipes this weekend, each featuring glorious apples.


-------------------------------

The first comes from my friend and awesome cook: Marla Garfield. It's a tasty dip on fall apples and everyone tries (mostly unsuccessfully) to guess the ingredients.


Awesome Apple Dip 

ingredients
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla
handful of peanuts, salted and roasted

preparation
Mix all but the peanuts together until smooth. Add nuts and mix. Serve with sliced apples.

-------------------------------

The next is an simple apple cake that my Great Aunt Frances would make every September for Ed's birthday. It's the perfect fall-time cake.

Frances Rinehart's Apple Cake

ingredients
3 eggs
2 cups self-rising flour
2 cups sugar
1 cup Canola oil
3 cups apples (diced)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg

preparation
Mix all ingredients together and spread in buttered 9x13 inch baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Top with whipped cream.

-------------------------------

Spiced Apple Cider Sorbet

And the last recipe is one I'm trying for the first time. The inspiration comes from a dessert we had last weekend at our favorite restaurant Woodberry Kitchen in Baltimore. Mary's friend, John, sent me a recipe link. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Monday morning note to all: the spiced apple cider sorbet recipe is a keeper. It was smooth, tart and delicious, served with Frances Rinehart's Apple Cake. Try it; you'll love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment