Monday, September 3, 2012

A Labor of Love

I reread the recipe twice. Yep, it said 20 pounds of tomatoes. Luckily, I had harvested that much in the last two days from our garden.

So I cored and quartered 10 pounds of Romas and 10 pounds of Long Keepers. I cooked them for 20 minutes in the largest pot I own along with a cup of onions and some garlic cloves harvested from my garden earlier in the summer.  Then I pushed them through a strainer with the back of a wooden spoon to extract the seeds and skins.


The resulting sauce is now simmering on the stove for a couple of hours. Later today, I'll add some fresh basil and can it in pint jars. Then, on a cold winter's night, I'll serve up some pasta with homemade tomato sauce. Mmmm good...

_______________

Note to self: When it was all said and done, 20 pounds of tomatoes yielded only 3.5 pints of sauce. Truly a labor of love!

No comments:

Post a Comment