Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Heat's On -- but Not in My Kitchen

I need to back up a week or so and tell you about a cooking class that I took with Maggie at Fox Hollow Farm just before we left for our Canada trip. I had won a free class at Fox Hollow’s summer kickoff event and Maggie offered to take the class with me. (Patrice will vouch for me: if you accordion fold your raffle ticket, you are sure to win every time!)

I arrived just as Maggie was getting off work. Five other women had signed up for the class. They all seemed to know each other. Jennifer, one of Maggie’s co-workers was also there to help with the prep. The class lasted from 6:00 to 8:30, but was 2-1/2 hours of sheer fun, plus we got to devour the delicious results.

Sherry Hurley, owner of Farm to Fork Catering, was the instructor. She cooks at Fox Hollow’s commercial kitchen on a regular basis and was knowledgeable and excited to be working with produce straight from the farm's garden.  She handed out printed copies of seven recipes and sure enough, she worked her way through all of them. (Disclaimer: she had already made the Carrot Ginger Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting that served as our dessert.)


I was especially glad that she included recipes for collard greens, beets, chard and turnips as I’m hoping all will come from my garden. Sherry teaches two classes each month: the 2nd Wednesday of each month she focuses on Fox Hollow grass fed beef and the last Tuesday of each month is based on what’s growing in the garden. In addition, Jamie Shafer is teaching a class on canning and preserving this Saturday, July 9.  I’m planning to take more classes. I hope you will join me.

2 comments:

  1. The cooking class sounds like great fun. Maybe we can pick a date and go together! Loved all the recent entries & photos. What a wonderful trip to Montreal. Am sure you are glad to have all the Galloways close to home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love take a class(es) with you. Let's compare calendars when you get back in town. Safe travels. deb

    ReplyDelete