Sunday, May 15, 2011

Parenting: The Process is Not Over


Giving birth to our house in the country was fun, challenging, occasionally frustrating, but mostly very satisfying. While we have moved in, the process is not over. There is still plenty to do; it is just a different kind of doing.

I’m thinking that metaphor holds up pretty well with parenting. Raising our three children has been fun, occasionally frustrating, but mostly, very satisfying. Mary, our youngest, turned 20 this week. So while we don’t have any more teenagers, the process of parenting is not over. There is still plenty to do; it is just a different kind of doing. It has more to do with listening, than telling; more to do with being a sideline cheerleader than a coach; more to do with watching them soar on their own, rather than teaching them to fly.  

In some ways, our roles have switched. I’m gleaning more about farm life from Maggie than I could ever teach her. Mary's eye for design takes my breath away. Jack’s wanderlust is a reminder for me to embrace change and lifelong learning. 

I am enormously proud of Maggie, Jack and Mary. They are turning out to be people who are making this earth more peaceable, more beautiful and more interesting. And they are each very good to their mom. What more could I want?
           
For Mothers' Day, Maggie and Mary tracked down
old whiskey barrels for back porch planting.


And Jack send me a musical Mother's Day greeting.




No comments:

Post a Comment