Friday, February 4, 2011

Hard Week

It's been a hard week for us. On Sunday afternoon Ed's sister Gay called to say that Aunt Gladys was not doing well -- in fact, she was dying. Ed and I drove down to Owensboro and spent the last few hours of Gladys' life sitting with her, and others who loved her, as she drew her last breaths.

Aunt Gladys will live on in the hearts of all her nieces and nephews.
At her funeral on Wednesday, Jack sang; and Ed, his niece Natalee, and his great niece Leslie spoke about their love for Aunt Gladys. It was a wonderful celebration of her life and, even though she was 96 (going on 97), it was still so sad. We are all going to miss her.

Here are the lyrics to the song that Jack sang, click here to hear an audio file:

I am a pilgrim and a stranger
Travelling through this wearisome land
I've got a home in that yonder city, good Lord
And it's not, not made by hand

I've got a mother, sister and a brother
Who have gone this way before
I am determined to go and see them, good Lord
For they're on that other shore

I'm goin' down to the river of Jordan
Just to bathe my wearisome soul
If I can just touch the hem of his garment, good Lord
Then I know he'd take me home

I am a pilgrim and a stranger
Travelling through this wearisome land
I've got a home in that yonder city, good Lord
And it's not, not made by hand



No comments:

Post a Comment