Sunday, August 3, 2014

Try it; You'll like it

Most of our mornings start with oatmeal. We alternate between my oats-based granola and Ed's slow-cooked steel cut oats. Yesterday, I read a kitchn blog post about Overnight Oats. It called for soaking equal parts uncooked oats and milk overnight, and in the morning, "you have a cool bowl of plump oats waiting in the fridge." I don't know about you, but it sounded kinda disgusting. The recipe also called for layering the cold oats with blackberry jam. That caught my attention as I had just yesterday picked half of a quart jar of wild blackberries.

So before I went to bed, I added a bit of sugar to the blackberries and, in a separate bowl, mixed together 2 cups of old-fashioned oats (uncooked) and a can of coconut milk.

This morning, with only a few minutes to fix breakfast before leaving for church, I stirred a spoonful of the sweetened blackberries into the cold oatmeal porridge. And then I tasted it, bracing for what I thought would taste like nothing more than cold gruel.


Instead, it was utterly delicious. The "gruel" tasted more like rice pudding or maybe tapioca – smooth and creamy, with just a hint of coconut. And the blackberries were just what it needed to take it from ordinary to extraordinary.

Ed bought a scone at the LaGrange Farmers Market and opted not to try the cold oatmeal. I suspect he too thought it sounded not so great. He just doesn't know what he is missing. Maybe tomorrow...




No comments:

Post a Comment