Jack is home from China for exactly one month and one day, hardly enough time for me to get my Jack-fix for a whole year. So I was delighted when he said that he would come with Ed and me on an already planned trip to Torch Lake in northern Michigan.
|Dock in front of the cottage, complete with plastic owl to scare away the sea gulls.|
|View from porch.|
Some highlights from our week:
- Walking along the top of the dunes at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore (and deciding NOT to run down them into Lake Michigan).
- A crazy-good Italian dinner at Trattoria Stella, located in the former Northern Michigan Asylum for the Insane in Traverse City.
- A round of golf at the Centennial Farm Golf Course in Bellaire.
- The smoked whitefish and whitefish sausage from The Bellaire Smokehouse.
- Warm cinnamon rolls and quiche at Afterloon Delights in downtown Alden.
- A father/son flyfishing float trip in Grayling with a guide from the Old AuSable Fly Shop.
- Walking up to the Thursday evening Farmers' Market in Alden and buying yellow plums and black cherries, along with a bluebird house and an oriole feeder.
- Sitting on the back porch, listening to the lake lap up on the beach and Jack play his guitar, enjoying a rum and tonic.
- And last, but not least, the homemade cherry pie, delivered to our back door by Ellen and Carl, our go-to Alden neighbors and Louisville friends.
We head home today and Jack heads back to China next week. Nice to have this treasured time together.