Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Spring is Here, No Matter What the Date

Spring fever has infected both Ed and me in a big way. Here's his take on it.

According to the calendar, spring is still a ways off, but try to tell that to FarmDover.

The other day I noticed without it really registering that the birds had gotten loud around day break, louder than they had been since last fall (but not as loud as they will be later on, when they wake you up when the windows are open).

Then, it did register on me that the winter wheat that Danny planted last fall to replace the raggedy patches of Johnson grass and other weeds was welcoming warm weather with a brighter shade of green.

So I started paying attention. 

Birds again – red-winged blackbirds, robins galore. Then Debbie and both saw a pair of what seem to a mating pair of hawks. Then, this morning I scared up a killdeer. Killdeers are ground nesters so we’ll have to be careful where we mow.  We have also noticed other new birds – dickcissels and lots of sparrows.

The spindly trunks of our orchard trees have taken on a primary shade of red and the crowns are about to burst with flower.

Finally, I was down by the little creek splitting wood for next winter.  (A mindless task that I enjoy except for trying to split logs from a newly fallen locust.  Even with my maul, it was like trying to split them with a Louisville Slugger. A walnut that fell over a year ago was much more accommodating).

Anyway, down by the creek, I ran into this little fellow, like me, stretching himself and taking in the warmth.  So, spring is here, no matter what the date.

No comments:

Post a Comment