Friday, March 2, 2012

Animals on Farm Dover Increase by 500!

I'm pretty sure my city friends will be convinced that I've totally lost it when they find out that we have recently added 500 earthworms to our existing livestock of fish and bees here on Farm Dover – and, that I'm excited to have them. These red wigglers are adapting to life in our basement and have three important roles: eat our kitchen garbage, produce natural, nutrient-filled fertilizer for our garden, and be on call for any impromptu fishing expeditions.


In preparation for these beneficial creatures, I've recently read two books: The Earth Moved: On the Remarkable Achievements of Earthworms, quite an engrossing read by Amy Stewart; and the more practical: Worms Eat My Garbage, by Mary Appelhof. If you had asked me a year ago if I thought I would be a worm farmer, I would not have even known how to respond to that question. Today, I'm quite passionate about this new hobby of mine. 

Maggie brought over our worms earlier in the week and I've been working to make them feel at home. I've transferred them to a large Tupperware container with air and drainage holes, purchased a burlap coffee bag for their roof, soaked a block of coconut coir for fluffy bedding and buried a banana peel, egg shells, coffee grinds and carrot peelings for their dinner. They seem to like their new home -- at least as far as I can tell.

The fancy term for this setup is "home vermicomposting system,"
otherwise known as my "worm bin."

If all goes as planned, they will settle right in, begin reproducing, eating, and producing worm casting (worm poop) that I'll add to my garden later this spring.

Next time you are over for a visit, just ask, and I'll introduce you to my worms. Assuming they thrive in their new home, I'll even send you home with your own starter kit!

1 comment:

  1. Next you have to name them. Individually. That's what we plan on doing. Connie

    ReplyDelete