Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I Went Walking...

I pulled on my rubber boots, grabbed a mesh bag, and headed down to the creek. I had the vague notion that I was headed out to look for the first ramps of spring and, if I got lucky, might stumble upon some morel mushrooms.

It seemed unthinkable that just last Monday, I was out tromping through four inches of snow and today, I am walking on a carpet of green, purple, blue and white wildflowers.

I didn't find any ramps. And I didn't find any morels. But the trip was not without reward. It was a treasure trove for my senses. I could hear the water rushing in the normally dry creek bed; every once in a while some small creature would plop into the water; honey bees were loudly buzzing around the purple wildflowers; the birds sounded like they were at a convention. I even heard a woodpecker looking for his lunch.

Everywhere I looked something new was growing, chirping, buzzing or swaying. I saw cardinals, red-winged blackbirds, robins, sparrows of all sorts, meadow larks, even the first blue jay.

The forest floor was covered in the most amazing tiny wildflowers -- the first of the season.

Lucky four-leafers popped out of patches of clover, which seems early by my eye.
The bulbs that Jack planted are just starting to swell with double narcissus blooms.
The pear trees are about to burst with white blossoms.
The forest smelled like a spring tonic – clean, spongy, chlorophyllic, herbal and invigorating.

It is supposed to reach 74 today and it is not yet the Ides of March. I'm not sure what this mild winter and early spring will bode for us come July, but it makes for a lovely morning down by the creek.

_________________________

Seeing all these beautiful wildflowers has made me curious to know what I'm looking at and whether I can eat them. I'm planning to attend an early spring wildflower hike and edible plant program at the Shelby Trails Park on Saturday morning, March 24. Mary Ray, nationally trained Folk Herbalist from Bardstown is leading the hike. Let me know if you want to join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment