Monday, November 14, 2011

Keeping the Vampires Away

You can never have enough garlic. With enough garlic, you can eat The New York Times.
– Morley Safer

I'm very serious about wanting to have a more productive garden in 2012 and realized that if that is to happen, I need to do some work on it in 2011. I just figured out that if I want garlic next year, I needed to get it in the ground, lickety-split.

I broke apart two garlic heads and selected the best looking cloves.

I tucked the cloves in the raised garden bed, pointy side up and covered them with about an inch of soil.
Tomorrow I'll add a layer of straw to keep them nice and warm
In the spring (if all goes as planned), I'll harvest the garlic scapes. Then, come summer, I'll harvest my own Farm Dover-grown garlic heads. Vampires beware! You are not welcome here.

1 comment:

  1. Vampires may stay away but I may very well be visiting around supper time a lot more!

    ReplyDelete