Sunday, April 24, 2011

A Friendship Garden

I have been accused of being too attached to things. It is usually not the item so much as that which I associate with it – either a person or a memory. So my ancient, wobbly egg poaching aluminum pan once belonged to Aunt Frances and I wouldn't trade it for the fanciest model from William Sonoma. I'm attached to my costume jewlery from Grandmommy, paintings from Aunt Melta, quilts from Aunt Gladys, and every clay bowl that my children ever made at Montreat.

I've been delighted with gifts that family and friends have bestowed on us for our new home. Many are intended for our garden – transplanted from others' gardens. They give me great delight every time I see them and cause me to count my blessings for having these people in my life.

Sedum from Grandmommy's house on Cannons Lane,
via stopovers at Natchez, Rainbow Drive and Calumet.

Sisters, do you remember blowing these up into little balloons?

A magnolia tree from sister Sherry

Iris from Lynn's garden
along with a basketful of other green goodies

Lettuce and herbs from Patrice; a cottage birdbath from Karen

Apple trees in the orchard in memory of Aunt Gladys
from Jackie & Paul, Karen, Patrice, Lynn & Walt, Beth, Robin & Jim


Peonnies transplanted from Aunt Gladys' backyard,
brought by Gay along with a gooseberry bush and some daffodils
Spring ramps from Maggie,
transplanted to our creek bank

I'm hoping all these plants will take root and flourish in their new environment, bringing us years of enjoyment and a whole bouquet of fond memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment