Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Transformed: But You Will Have to Wait to See It

If you are a faithful reader of this blog, you might have noticed that it doesn't feature many photos of the front of our house. Like a teenager with acne, I was hesitant to photograph it. It just didn't look right – but, like that teenager, I loved it all the same. We needed to rework the front entrance because of the way the stairway inside fell -- not exactly to plan – but that's what happens when two sisters get together without an architect to design a house.

We tried to fix it. We added a shuttered window, where a window made sense to be (but couldn't really because of the stairs). We're adding some brackets to the overhang. We found a bench that will fit just under the window and I told myself that landscaping will surely help. We agreed to paint the front door a fun color, maybe aubergine or curry. Still I was unsure. This was my one chance to design a house that was charming on the outside, welcoming on the inside. I tried not to dwell on it.

Then the siding went up and overnight the house changed from an ugly duckling to the incredible modern farmhouse of my dreams. The siding is a pretty dark sage-y green and is applied vertically board-and-batten style on the two ends of the house and horizontally in between. The siding makes the house look cozy and not nearly as large as it did with the white Tyvek paper coating – a bit like a woman-of-a-certain-size's trick of wearing a dark color to make herself look more svelte.

As excited as I am about it, I can't show you a photo. Our camera is out on a mission to capture proof of exceeding large bass caught by Ed and Jack this week at Juniper and my phone is not equipped to take photos. So, you will just have to trust me that it looks great. I promise to post photos next week. Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment