Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Tornado Destruction Becomes Intensely Personal

"That snapshot looks like it could have come from one of our Christmases," was Jack's first reaction when I showed our kids the photo that Ed found in our fields yesterday. It was of two young girls, with hair that looks red -- much like Maggie's and Mary's. The younger child is holding a bell -- much like the one that hung on the Bailey's tree in "It's a Wonderful Life."  

When Ed picked up the photo, it was wet, but perfectly intact. We wondered where it came from. Then, I remembered that friend Ellen had found an old photo of a young woman this past weekend while on her daily photo excursions in The Parklands of Floyds Fork.

That evening, she posted the photo to a Facebook page created to reunite found items from the tornado with the owner (or family): Quad State Tornado Found Items. Within half an hour, she had a response from Haley Burton: "My Nana." 

Haley's Nana, Judy Miller, and grandfather, Billy Miller, both died in the tornado. Seven others have found photos that belonged to the Millers. There was a story about it in yesterday's Washington Post. Ellen is quoted, "I hated the universe and loved the universe with such intensity. I hated what had happened. I just loved that we could get something back to these families." 

Taking a page from Ellen's book, I posted our found photo to the same Facebook site. And within minutes, I got a message from Rachel in Madisonville. "That picture is of me and my sister. I'm on the right." She continued: "My parents lost their house (in Princeton, KY) and my dad lost his life. I would be grateful if you can send the photo to me." 

I had no words. It floored me to realize that a paper photo could survive -- and turn up 160 miles away -- but a house and a dad were lost forever.  When asked what I could do for Rachel and her family, she simply said: "Just pray for my mom." I am, and I hope you, my readers, will too. 

I've come to find out that Rachel's mom is in critical condition at Vanderbilt Hospital. There is a Go Fund Me page set up to help Rachel's family. I've made a contribution and hope you will consider making one as well. 

I can't help but think about Clarence from "It's a Wonderful Life" who comforts a deeply depressed George Bailey with a little secret: "Every time you hear a bell ring, it means that some angel just got his wings." My wish for all who have lost so much: may you find peace and comfort in the days ahead.


___________

Update to post: A news station in Nashville broadcast this story about Rachel's family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment