Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Just Call Me Mrs. Green Jeans

My wardrobe is quite minimal these days. Since moving to the country nearly seven years ago, I've been continually culling my clothes. No more suits or evening wear; no more pantyhose or high-heeled shoes; no more leather bags or jewelry. I care little for fashion. I'm not interested in being a trendsetter.

Other than our Thursday trips to Louisville and Sunday church, I rarely dress up. In fact, most days you will find me wearing overalls, a long-sleeved T-shirt, and a shabby straw hat: the perfect ensemble for working in the garden or tromping through the woods. Nice and roomy; lots of pockets.


I hate to shop – especially for clothes. I order my overalls online, whenever I realize that my current ones are too full of holes and stained beyond redemption. I recently replaced my old brown overalls with a new pair of green ones. They remind me of Mr. Green Jeans.



If you are anywhere near my age, you might remember Mr. Green Jeans as Captain Kangeroo's sidekick. Because I watched the children's show on our mid-1960's black-and-white TV, it never occurred to me that his last name was created based on the color overalls he wore. Years later, I remember being flabbergasted when I saw a rerun of the show and realized that his jeans were green.

My on-line go-to source for overalls has always been Wisconsin-based Duluth Trading Company. I was a little baffled when I heard that Duluth was opening a store in Louisville on historic Whiskey Row. I was also a little curious. So last Thursday afternoon, instead of picking Ed up at his downtown office, he met me a few blocks east on Main Street to check out the new store. 


Sure enough, they carry women's overalls. I'm not sure how much demand there will be among Louisvillians, but I wish the new store the best.


Who knows, perhaps I am becoming a trendsetter. Now wouldn't that be amusing!


1 comment:

  1. You have embraced a great look. A happy one. Obviously authentic!

    ReplyDelete