Saturday, February 15, 2014

Tracks

This long-lasting snow cover has not kept me from my daily walks on the farm trails. It has kept me occupied with trying to identify the animal tracks that I see all over the farm.


Based on what I see, you would think that our farm was overrun with bunnies – hundreds and hundreds of cottontail bunnies prints. Their tracks are everywhere: crisscrossing the trails, turning into the woods, resting for warmth near the house foundation.


Often side by side with bunny tracks are cayote footprints...


I've found white-trailed deer hoof prints...


Little brown bird claw prints...


Raccoon paw prints...


and strangest of all, snake belly tracks?...


As I walk and take note of these prints, I wonder about the critters that create them. What are they up to? Are they alone? Or traveling with a mate/offspring? Are they searching for something to eat? Or just warming up in the sun? Do they wonder the same things when they see this print?...


No comments:

Post a Comment