Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Up with the Birds

It's hot here this week, which isn't surprising as it is mid-July in the Ohio River valley. An hour ago, we gave in and shut the windows and turned on the AC. Both Ed and I prefer to leave the house open. Windows with screens, ceiling fans, and pitchers of brewed iced tea are all we need to stay cool...until the thermometer inches up into the mid-90s.

The thing I love the most about sleeping with the windows open is hearing the birds begin to chirp in the very early morning hours. I hear them, but then immediately fall back asleep. Ed rises early; I sleep until 7:30 or so.

This week I've been trying to rise earlier. It's just so pleasant in the early mornings. This morning I headed out early to pick blackberries. They are just starting to ripen, maybe one ripe berry to every 20 red ones.


I worked my way deep into one of the best patches and was busy picking away when I heard a funny-sounding bird in a nearby tree. I could see it was bright yellow, but couldn't tell if it was a gold finch or something else. Usually when I turn to look at a bird, it takes off. It's like they can tell when a pair of human eyes train on them. This time, the bird just kept calling and calling with a series of whistles, cackles, mews, catcalls, chuckles, rattles and squawks. Soon, its mate began to call back, coming closer and closer.

The bird flew from the top of an osage tree to a tall weed just feet from my blackberry bucket. It was a yellow-breasted chat: one of my favorite birds.


I stood still and watched it for several minutes. I never saw his/her mate, but could tell he/she was close by. I felt like I could have reached out, petted it, and had a little chat with the chat. Soon enough it flew off and I continued on my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment