Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Happiness Is...A Planted Garden

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.
- Marcus Tullius Cicero

The weather finally cooperated and my garden dried out enough for neighbor John to bring over his tiller and work up the big garden as well as a smaller flower garden. Ed and John worked most of the morning, slowly moving up and down the rows, avoiding the already-planted asparagus, garlic and potatoes.


Just as they were finishing, Maggie showed up to help me plant it. We planted tomatoes, peppers, beans, cucumbers, chard, pumpkins, squash, and sweet potatoes in the big garden and some parsley, cilantro, kale and cabbage in my raised beds. Tomorrow morning, I'll plant some okra seeds.

Into the flower garden, I planted seeds of sunflowers, zinnias, marigolds, poppies, and a wildflower mix.


Tonight, my muscles ache, but it feels really good to get the garden to this point. Thank you Ed, John and Maggie. Let's hope that soft rains come this weekend and good things sprout.

No comments:

Post a Comment