Monday, March 11, 2013

Starting seeds vs baking cookies. Cookies win.

I've spent the last few weeks dreaming of our spring vegetable and flower garden. My dream sequence goes something like this: read every bit of copy in a whole stack of seed catalogs – drool over the options available and turn down the corners of the pages that peak my interest; organize last year's seeds that may still be viable; make a complicated Microsoft Word table of what goes in which garden, the seed source, and whether it needs to be started indoors, or if it can be direct sown; order seeds. The dream phase is over. Time to wake up and get to actual work.

Yesterday, being a warm and sunny afternoon, Jack helped me spread compost over the big garden and in our two raised beds. Together, we planted a gooseberry bush that has languished in a Tupperware® bucket all winter and then Jack spread Holly Care, an all-natural organic fertilizer for acid-loving plants, on the hydrangeas next to the cottage. 

This morning, being a cold and rainy morning, I turned my attention to getting some seeds started. First things first. I opened the small box that came in this week's mail from Johnny's Selected Seeds.  




Inside were packets of peas, bush beans, beets, sweet peppers, hot peppers, radishes, tomatoes (3 heirloom kinds) zucchini, and carrots. Also included were poppies, sunflowers, zinnias, and marigolds – for my cutting garden. In addition to the seeds from Johnny's, I'm also planting ones left over from last year: kale, spinach, lettuces (5 kinds), swiss chard, sweet potatoes, gold potatoes, jerusalem artichokes. Still to consider are the herbs that I'm planning to grow: parsley, thyme, dill, cilantro, rosemary, oregano and mint.

Just reading this list, I'm beginning to realize that perhaps I've been a bit optimistic about the size and diversity of my garden, but I can't bear the thought of eliminating even one of these plants. 

My plan was to work outside on the porch, getting the seeds started that could not be directly sown into my garden. For my birthday, Maggie bought me a grow light that we've installed in the basement. The plan is to get a head start on growing plants from seeds by exposing them to 16 hours a day of fake sunlight. I anticipated this afternoon's work to include filling black plastic cell flats with a seed starter mix that I bought at Fresh Start Garden Supply in Louisville and then planting individual seeds in each cell, identifying them as I go along. Sounds like a pleasant way to spend the afternoon, does it not?

But I just came in from getting things set up and it is very cold and windy out there. So, I think I'll change direction and instead make a batch of granola and dried cranberry chocolate chip cookies to ship to Mary for her Spring Break road trip. 

The seeds will just have to wait for a warmer day... To be continued

__________________


Granola and Dried Cranberry Chocolate Chip Cookies

ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups granola
1/4 cup dried cranberries, chopped
1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips

preparation
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl with an electric mixer cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, beating until combined well, and beat in vanilla. Beat in flour mixture and stir in remaining ingredients. Drop dough by rounded tablespoons 2 inches apart onto buttered baking sheets and bake in batches in middle of oven 12 to 15 inches, or until golden. Cool cookies on racks. Cookies keep in airtight containers 5 days. 

makes 36 cookies 



No comments:

Post a Comment