Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Spring has sprung (could be wishful thinking)

Feels like Farm Dover is coming alive after a long hibernation. I know it is only mid-February, but already the air is starting to smell of springtime and my spirits are rising in anticipation.


Here's a glimpse of things going on inside and outside at Farm Dover.

Birds have returned. Just this week, we've seen dozens of robins, a pair or two of bluebirds, several mockingbirds and killdeers, a downey woodpecker, and perhaps most excitedly, a rare northern harrier hawk. It's just amazing to me how the bird population changes with the seasons. When I go out for my morning walks, the air is filled with bird song at a much higher volume than  even two weeks ago.

love birds
Thousands of starlings are hanging out in the fields

Ed and I have been working outside the past few days, clearing more trash trees, and improving our electric drill skills.

We installed bluebird houses at the front gate and one in the side yard in hopes of attracting bluebirds of happiness to Farm Dover. Maggie and Nate made these nesting boxes for Ed for Father's Day, but we waited to put them up until it was nesting season.


While we had our drill going, we put up the sign that Mary gave me for Christmas, annoucing to the world where my garden is located.


In anticipation of a robust garden, we had a mountain of the blackest compost delivered this morning. Hoping to talk to Jack into coming over to help us spread it over our garden and around our fruit trees.


I purchased a barn-wood table from a friend who is moving out of town and found the perfect home for it under the big hackberry tree at the bend in the road. Daydreaming of some picnics.


I'm still walking every morning up and down all the trails. Maggie went with me on Sunday morning and a nice neighbor dog joined us. He followed us home and took up residence on our front porch.


I told him to sit and stay so I could slip inside. He took me literally, and when I looked outside, there he still was.


And there he stayed for eight hours, even though I kept telling him to "go home."

As dark came on, Maggie and I put back on our walking shoes and offered to walk him home. He didn't seem all that happy to leave and we were sad to see him go. I hope he comes back another day.


The big news inside the house is that the 1000-piece puzzle from Christmas is finally finished. The puzzle featured one of folk artist Will Moses' paintings. It included lots of white pieces making it a particularly hard one – but Maggie kept at it.


And in the kitchen, I was busy making granola and packaging it  up in Weck® canning jars for my special Valentines.


Wishing you a happy valentine's day and an early spring.


No comments:

Post a Comment