Saturday, November 10, 2012

Garlic's in the ground

I took advantage of yesterday's warm and sunny weather to plant garlic in my garden. Maggie had ordered me two kinds from the Southern Exposure Seed Exchange: Italian Softneck and Porcelain-type Rocambole Garlic. The Seed Exchange offers more than 40 kinds of garlic, all certified organic.


The garlic was mailed to us  a couple of weeks ago. Jack had tilled up the garden earlier in the week. Yesterday, I opened the two small brown bags of garlic. Included in each were whole bulbs of beautiful white garlic. I separated each bulb into cloves and then planted each clove about 6" apart and covered them with 2 inches of soil. In a few weeks, green shoots will come up. In the spring I'll harvest some of the garlic scapes and then in August, I'll dig up (hopefull) a basketful of garlic cloves that will last us all of next winter.





No comments:

Post a Comment