Thursday, September 1, 2011

auf Wiedersehen, Jack

Ed and I dropped Jack at the Louisville airport this morning. The ride in from Shelby county was quiet -- none of us exactly felt like talking or even knew what to say.

I suspect Jack was excited to be leaving for a year in Germany and maybe a bit anxious about getting there and getting settled. I also expect he was tired of me asking if he had his passport, computer cord, boarding pass, turkey sandwich, etc.

I was excited for him but, as always when I say "goodbye" to my children, my heart was breaking. I much prefer to have my three nearby, but we have raised them to be independent, confident young adults...So Jack is off on a fine adventure: teaching English in a German high school in conjunction with an award as a Fulbright scholar.

Jack, please know that I am so proud of you. I'll miss your whistling around the house, your appetite, your piano and guitar music, and your help with all things heavy, or high up. I wish you all the best in the next year. I know you will be a terrific teacher. May you learn much, make good friends, be safe, and know that we will miss you back at home.

auf Widersehen & Ich liebe dich. mom

Jack, outside his cottage, this morning, before heading to Germany.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment