Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Geronimo!

Just around one corner of Joe Lake is Jump Rock. It is legendary as the place where the bravest of the brave Taylor Statten campers jump from its high perches.

Knowing how much I avoid scary heights, I couldn’t really picture Maggie, Jack or Mary actually taking the plunge.

On July 4, we had taken two canoes out for a not-so-short paddle and a not-so-easy portage over to visit Camp Wapomeo (the camp that Maggie and Mary went to for years) and Camp Ahmek (Jack’s camp). On the way back, Jack announced that he wanted to climb to the topmost rock and jump off. I didn’t know if he would do it. Mary, not wanting to be shown up, said she’d take the plunge too.

Up the cliff face they scampered. Ed and I paddled out so we could watch.

Off went Jack. Forty feet straight down into the cold clear waters. SMACK. Then nothing. Then one black, sized-15 flip-flop floated to the surface. Then nothing. I held my breath.  And then, Jack popped up.



Off went Mary. Down, down, down. SMACK. Up she popped, with a big smile on her face. One bruised hand and one very sore bottom to remember  – and, of course, the photo to prove it actually happened.







1 comment:

  1. This would be Maggie's worst nightmare! I'm somewhat uneasy just thinking about it - I'm not much for heights either. Nice work, Mary and Jack!

    ReplyDelete